10 of my Favorite Romantic Quiet Storm Songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4L0M4RdShM

Quiet Storm is a genre of music that often includes smooth R&B, taken from the title of a Smokey Robinson song, it represented a time when he was a Motown Exec but really needed to express himself in a musical way. Barry Gordy once came up to him, according to Smokey and said "Bill, get a band together and start singing" Gordy could tell Robinson had become miserable without his favorite outlet

Robinson started out with his wife and 2 other gentlemen singing and  writing songs, upon meeting Barry Gordy another songwriter he would hone his skills as a songwriter, writing songs for The Marvelettes, The Temptations and his own band The Miracles, later receiving separate billing. He had planned to go solo but Tears of A Clown was a #1 hit in 1967  and he decided to stay with the Miracles until 1972.

"You've Really Got a Hold on Me",[4] "Mickey's Monkey", "I Second That Emotion", "Baby Baby Don't Cry" and the group's only number-one hit during their Robinson years, "Tears of a Clown". Other notable hits such as "Ooo Baby Baby", "Going to a Go-Go", "The Tracks of My Tears", "(Come Round Here) I'm The One You Need", "The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage" and "More Love" peaked in the top twenty.

Between 1962 and 1966, Robinson was also one of the in-demand songwriters and producers for Motown, penning several hit singles such as "Two Lovers",[4] "The One Who Really Loves You", "You Beat Me to the Punch" and "My Guy" for Mary Wells, "The Way You Do The Things You Do", "My Girl",[4] "Since I Lost My Baby" and "Get Ready" for the Temptations, "When I'm Gone" and "Operator" for Brenda Holloway, "Don't Mess With Bill", "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game" and "My Baby Must Be a Magician" for the Marvelettes and "I'll Be Doggone" and "Ain't That Peculiar" for Marvin Gaye. His top rank as songwriter and producer dropped after the arrivals of Holland–Dozier–Holland and the team of Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong, and other Motown artists such as Gaye and Stevie Wonder. He later contributed lyrics and musical composition for the works of the Contours' "First I Look at the Purse", the Four Tops' "Still Water" and The Supremes' "Floy Joy"

After a year of retirement, Smokey was back at it later having the songs Cruisin, Being With You and Just To See Her as Top 10 solo hits.

It was during this year that the Quiet Storm would be the thing that inspired his own song and the genre of music we listen to late at night

Please enjoy my compilation of Romantic Quiet Storm Songs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parker v. Hurley Prental Rights Violation or Elaborate Setup? I'll Explain

Conservative Family Values: All Fantasy, No Facts A Few Reasons

The Comments NOM Blog Is Likely To Take Down--or Not Approve