Pride Weekend

Hello Everyone,

This week has been great for me. I have to say that I've gotten a taste of what it is to be running all the time. Most of my time was spent with Grandma Kitty and for a week we were like Bob and Bing, Lucy and Ethel, Laurel and Hardy, Ralph Cramden and Ed North (?), Hall and Oates, Sarah Palin and Stupidity,R Kelly and Under-aged girls.

So, this week we've had a meeting with Gallivan that went well and also with Grisanti that day (Friday) A wedding, rally, the Dyke March,  (Saturday) Thursday I found out the mayor skipped out on the Flag Raising and sent someone to talk in his place, went to get boxes, got a number and also found out about some anti marriage people who looked like Hitler and scared this woman's kids (who is a supporter of the right to marry) and on Sunday it culminated with Pride and doing what Pride was intended to do--be political! But I'll begin this on Wednesday

Wednesday
May 1st, was a crazy day because something I thought would happen didn't--a small setback. I could live with that, so I decided what am I going to do? I was already downtown when I was on my way somewhere else and thought: Right, can't get there yet. So I thought: I should go down to ACS for lunch, they serve it at noon for those who are connected with programs in the Evergreen Center. As I thought of it I looked and saw Marvin of GLYS walking from Niagara Square near the court opposite the Walter J Mahoney Courthouse and then I asked myself: Should I see how many people come to this flag raising? (My note: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=105375762886621 talks about why I think he shouldn't have been there in the first place) after deciding not to, I went to have lunch and went to Office Depot to get some boxes. I thought: How much can they be? .20/lb or something? I was going to check it out. So after chatting up a young lady she said: Hit up dumpsters and immediately came a thought of a stinking garbage and picking boxes out of it that hopefully didn't smell like sewer...and then to Office Depot 3.49/box? What the heck were they thinking? I'm not gonna pay that for a box I've got to put together and pack! ARE YOU CRAZY?! So reluctantly I took the lady's advice and raided a dumpster, I found two good boxes in a food dumpster that smelled and I'm sniffing hoping it didn't come from the boxes, and as I go away from the foodservice dumpster I found that they didn't smell.

PAYDIRT
After looking around, I see a dumpster that says: No Parking, Cardboard Only and from there I got numerous boxes, and I call around thinking: I hope I can get a ride. Well? No. So I take the bus the 20 to the 4, I was in that plaza with the Regal Movie Theatre in it, so I had a ways to go. On the 20 I noticed someone, and chatted, urged them to call their Senator and got his number. Afterwards, I got on the 4 and the Operator was a bit rude to me saying: Where are you gonna put them? in a 'I shouldn't even let you on this bus so you better be grateful' I simply said: Don't worry I will put it out of the way. She may have had a bad day. I got off the bus and after I am home for a few hours, I get to HRC phone banking for the night, pick up some more boxes and I'm off

Thursday
Don't remember much about Thursday other than finding out that there was a fire alarm pulled and Byron slipped out the back door so he wouldn't have to attend the Pride Flag Raising.

Friday
Gallivan meeting. I have to say that I thought it was going to be confrontational no matter how positive we were going to be. In attendance were: Lynn Tranchell, Mark Flanders, Peter Bisuito, Cynthia Appleton, Chris Sasiadek, Grandma Kitty, Myself, a woman named Mary and I believe rounding out the cast is Sandy (I could be wrong) we talked about Loving v. Virginia (after I explained the background of the case, he seemed to take me seriously--since I didn't speak ebonics and could engage him as an equal) which struck down anti miscegenation laws in 1967. I mentioned Hernandez v. Robles, the decision that passed the question of marriage to the State Legislature and a few other things that were useful. Gallivan asked many valid questions that we answered openly and honestly. After the meeting, we all talked amongst ourselves and Grandma Kitty and I were off with Errin Doyle to Grisanti's office.

Grisanti's
When we got there, we had an aide named Joel who was just bored out of his mind, checking his phone etc. We know that Grisanti came into the office (he'd been in court when we came in) and his assistant made sure that we weren't leaving at the same time (saw her face pressed against the glass). When we came in, I opted to leave the door open but another assistant shut the door so that when Grisanti came in, we wouldn't hear him easily...See? So, we made sure Joel knew why this mattered to me, Grandma Kitty told him of the woman whose partner had died and the bio family locked her out of the family home, the funeral arrangements and everything having to do with their lives together. I made it clear that I didn't want to get married in any other state but the state of New York, and that I want to adopt but I want my partner to be able to do everything for our kids like picking them up from school to getting them to the hospital if anything should happen to them and I'm out of town or something.

Afterward, we went to Wal-Mart and talked to a photo attendant named Matt and encouraged him to march with us at Pride, we actually encouraged everyone we talked with to do so. About 8 pm, we picked up Grandma Cheryle who had just finish pulling a 12 hr day and she was exhausted...I can't blame her. Also another bit of info we found out was the awesome Michael Yeh was coming to town for Pride!

Saturday
I got up about--8am and hopped on the bus to get to the Grandmas' house so I could get to Joan and Cheryle's wedding (I ran into them on the bus). Then off to the Grandmas and then we went on to the church where Michael Yeh and Grandma Cheryle took pictures of the actual ceremony, I have some others in Pride Weekend Pt 1. I have to say that I

Rally
After the wedding, I was beat. I got some sleep prior but didn't get nearly enough--it always seems that way. So, Jesse, Alex, myself and Grandma Cheryle were at the house while Grandma Kitty went off somewhere and brought back some BK and off we go. The rally was awesome I remember Hoyt and Kennedy speaking and Grandma Kitty of course introducing the speakers and bolstering the small crowd we had there which was small because it rained prior it seemed to come down really hard while we were all at the wedding. I spoke and then wanted to say something about GENDA as well because though I've been pushing like crazy for marriage, I want GENDA to pass too. Marriage would open many doors, but GENDA would fill in many things that marriage might not forseeably cover.  After the rally was over, I planned on going with Tom and Bryan to the Dyke March but they left while I was doing something and I got to have lunch with Michael and talked about our lives up to this point. Next, Dyke March 

Dyke March
The Dyke March was awesome! I called Bryan and he said he wouldn't be around but might be at the after party (Allen St festival). I planned originally to walk with Bryan with a banner, but it turned out I would be a drummer!My thoughts about the Dyke March is simple: I'm gonna show up for my lesbian sisters! I ran into Genella, whom I met at GLYS and her lovely partner Laura. Along the way a dog peed on the floor and nearly caused us all to fall over in the street. I have a picture of the dog in Pride Weekend Pt 1. Michael had taken many pictures as the parade route moved on from Dodge and Main to Allen St between Franklin and Pearl which lead us into the Allen St Festival.

Allen St Festival
After getting down there, we celebrated! I have a lot of pics of people I saw that day and I've seen a lot of them around town but never talked to them prior. I walked around introducing myself as an advocate for marriage in NYS and urged them to call their Senators and write hand written letters to them (and they could write one at El Museo down the street). Then I urged those of color to mention that they are a person of color and that marriage means a lot to them so that the Senators can  no longer use the excuse that the minority communities are against marriage. It was from about 5-10ish and about 9:40 I got a call: Hurry up and get down to El Museo because they were wrapping up. So I waddled down with my aching feet to El Museo

Pride Morning
Pride Morning was amazing, saw Jonathan Samuel Davis and his son Seth,Tom Donovan who I've dubbed Niichan--brother in Japanese. The fabulous Andy Randazzo and The Dahhhling Cindy Appleton, Mike Locurto and I believe David Rivera marched with us I know I saw Mike Locurto. Dr. Craig Centrie marched with us as well. I carried a big check worth $302M which represents the money NYS misses out on upholding discrimination. I saw John, my friend's Uncle and found out--he actually confirmed what we knew all along-- that he was gay and his daughter Jocelyn is a lesbian. I took a picture with them in Pride Weekend Pt 2.

I did the same thing I did Saturday, going around introducing myself and urging them to call and write their Senators. It was great, and once I found the table I helped rope people in to write a letter for marriage equality, I also roped in a reporter who covered us but it didn't show up in the paper which was disappointing, however a goose made the front page. ( http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/downtown/article445594.ece) online article. So the fight continues as the clock ticks down to marriage equality. June 20th is the deadline and I really want EVERYONE to call their Senators so that we can give the right that has been recognized by the Supreme Court 14 times--as well as the right to choose your partner--Loving v. Virginia (1967), McLoughlin v. Florida (1963).

I think I've introduced Darryl to so many people who may or may not spot him and think: I've seen you before...I said simply: I want to marry my partner and here he is. Biting off Grandma Kitty I said: I don't want domestic partnerships because I'm not his butler and he's not my maid, or civil unions because they're not viable. So...if you haven't done so...call your Senators.

The People I've Met
I met Marc Sacco, Laura Anne and a few others that I've become friends with due to the advocacy for marriage, I am looking forward to further advocacy on the federal level to make sure that LGBT people have non discrimination legislation there too. Too many states leave LGBT open for discrimination. I have recognized so many people around and even referred some to ROC's Anne Tischer, hopefully they call and give her a hand wherever they can. I also let people know that we need some younger folk in OUTspoken and Stonewall so we can carry on the work and give the older generation a break! Why? They've done enough, sit down and let us take up this fight. So...this is my weekend. I took my butt to sleep afterward and put up pics and had a wonderful weekend.

What Pride is about to me
Pride is the ultimate political statement. However, I am perplexed, bewildered that Pride Center made it seem like they originated Pride in 91 when there more than likely wasn't a Pride Center allowed to be built in 1973 if I'm correct. The fact that they have acted like a trans individual that pretends they were always the gender they identify with disturbs me because they never acknowledged Carol Speser The Mother of Pride in Buffalo and the 14 others that marched when it wasn't a good time to be out. I also hate that they've attempted to DE politicize Pride, the fact is Pride started because of the fact that we were lead to believe our voice was diluted--and to a point it was as long as we 'STAYED IN OUR DAMN CLOSET' but now, we refuse to be silent, ACTUP, QUEER NATION, STONEWALL DEMOCRATS, HRC, ESPA, MENY, all these organizations that have popped up because of that ONE event in history--and now we can make history again! The fact that many of the Pride Center that say: We do SOME political things, but never allow their workers to take a stand on political issues is like the Emperor with no clothes on, looking ridiculous until someone has the balls to actually confront them on it. That's what a DEpoliticized Pride is like to me. Pride is a political statement, that we will be out and open.

Some more reading material:
http://www.outcomebuffalo.com/pride-trivia-truth6-040201100064.html

Love You All
Until The Pen Strikes Again

Pride, that covers both Gay men and Lesbians
Love this pic!
Showing some love to the bears!
The Right to marry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parker v. Hurley Prental Rights Violation or Elaborate Setup? I'll Explain

Conservative Family Values: All Fantasy, No Facts A Few Reasons

The Comments NOM Blog Is Likely To Take Down--or Not Approve