How Coming Out Made Me A Better Man

Welcome to the Blog Everyone!


So…I was on Youtube yesterday watching some RavenEntertainmenttv (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGCrmVQk-3M) and he talked about a sort of before and after with coming out as a focal point and I decided to kind of say my peace on it. Coming out is a real revolutionary thing for yourself mainly because you have to come out to yourself first and get familiar with what that means for the world you’re living in and I don’t mean Earth but your corner of it. My Universe before coming out was filled with inner turmoil pulling from society, religion and myself.

I remember a few times in school people asked If I were a boy or girl, once I tried to cut green sweatpants into shorts and because I’m tall it looked like Capris and I was pretty androgynous back then because I had a hat on and I was overweight…with moobs…and fair skinned. If I wanted to do drag back then that would’ve been the perfect time for me. Once at a Teen Haven Meeting (Christian Youth Group) a kid said that I should be tossed in a jail and get it over with (I guess he saw Holiday Heart before I did) and when I asked why he said “Because you act like a girl” I then said “I don’t act like a girl, I act like Terry Purdue” in the most effeminate manner possible….when I would be called out about being gay I’d get angry, I’d belittle openly gay students and in fact one day I was properly smacked down by one of my classmates. I facebooked her a while ago and told her how much in hindsight I really appreciated that. Of course, I did that to take the heat off of me.


Then one day in August of 2004 that all changed when I had to cash my check and told my family. Now they’re okay with it but I would like to talk to them about it and see what they think now or remember about then. My sister told me that she didn’t like the first guy I brought home but that was a miscellaneous relationship. She liked the next guy I brought home years later though they were kinda close.

But coming out has made me a better man because I don’t hold to the constraints of the society is telling me is a man. I don’t’ think that chesting up on everyone is the definition of a man or being the toughest is necessary, your character reveals you as a man more than your fists do, use them when necessary but be smart enough to know that not all fights can be handled that way. Because I dealt with racism of not being black enough because of using Standard American English or not being white enough because I didn’t listen to all the pop songs on the radio or buy American Eagle I guess, I learned to like people for who they are and connect with them. This I learned before even coming out. That’s probably why I can be around many different kinds of people and still have a good time because I can appreciate them without the artificial labels we have that divide us.

Coming out has made me a whole man, who appreciates the yin and yang, the masculine and feminine about himself. I want to learn how to fix things but I also wouldn’t mind decorating, I don’t mind shopping and I wouldn’t mind watching a football game with the guys—I always say that I’ll adopt my husband’s team if I marry a guy who loves football, I just couldn’t talk shop with them about it. It’s made me appreciate people, and most of all myself. I don’t care if people think I’m less of a man because I’m gay. Being openly gay is not for the faint of heart. It got better because I got stronger and know that if someone has a problem with me because I’m gay, that’s their problem. Instead of wondering what I did to make them think I’m gay, I’m thinking: You gotta sort out the problem with your masculinity and why it’s so frail

Until Next Time!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parker v. Hurley Prental Rights Violation or Elaborate Setup? I'll Explain

Conservative Family Values: All Fantasy, No Facts A Few Reasons

The Comments NOM Blog Is Likely To Take Down--or Not Approve