Top 15 That's My Jam! Songs

You're at a party and the opening of a song comes on and you hear someone say "THAT"S MY JAM! They make it over to the dance floor and start dancing, kicking off a mass migration to the dance floor. These songs are on the list for songs I want to get up and jam to. No time like the present. 

Important note:  If you want to listen to the song, the links are in their titles, Enjoy! 

15 Everyone Falls In Love Sometimes Tanto Metro and Devante




The songs that kicks off our list is about a man that's in a tug of war but wants to know what his girlfriend wants to do. If she loves him, they'll flow if not he'll go. He says "If you want my love why you want it fe end, you are my greatest problem me can't comprehend" All he wants is a clear answer, and even when we're dancing most of us are listening to the refrain anyway we just want to dance. We don't give a hoot about his problems with his girl, a few teens are hugged up on their girl twerking against him in a preview of what he can expect later that night

14  Cathy Dennis Touch Me (All Night Long)



This is a song originally done by Fonda Rae in 1984 and was popular enough to make Jesse look like a big doofus when his Meryl Streep look alike girlfriend in Nightmare on Elm Street II walked in on him dancing. Yes the gay one, but the Cathy Dennis 1991 version takes it to a danceable level. I won't often hear this unless I'm playing it but if I do hear it at a dance party with a few people my age, I will DEFINITELY get up and shake a tail feather

13 Come Go With Me Expose




1987 Jeanine Jurado, Gioia Bruno and Ann Curless would debut with Lewis Martinee penned Come Go With Me, with a snappy video and simple lyrics about getting away with your Lovey and leaving work behind, it's great tune behind it sounds so infectious and the guitar and the drums cast a spell on you that makes me want to get up and grab the camping gear. Make sure the car doesn't realize it's in a horror flick 

12 Before I Let Go Maze ft Frankie Beverly



The first few seconds of the song is inconic because at every black bbq, you will hear this at least once and you will see all the generations hear "Oh" as they all shuffle to the dance floor. It's funky beat, soulful vocals and stellar execution by its singer songwriter just compels you to get to the dance floor and shake it because every syllable has the power to move you. It's a celebratory song that could mask a lot of pain but its instrumentation gives you an optimistic feel. See it's like being black, you can get killed for breathing but somehow the inner power that comes from it is something no one can take. That sounds dark but it's a devil of a truth. This song is just other worldly

11 Faith George Michael



I learned about George Michael being gay when I was a teenager and I looked at him and said "Oh wow, he's a beautiful man" So when I discovered Faith and the video I was floored as a little gay boy, the boots, fitted jeans, beautiful leather jacket 5 o clock shadow, earings and just that perfect hair. Wow! But beyond that Michael sings of a love that thinks with the head on his shoulders and will last. He wants to be devoted but if you're not going to be in it with him buh bye! So he has faith that someday that love will come to him. Yes, George Michael is a beautiful man but he wants to make sure his lover is in it for the same things too. RIP George Michael

Also, there is a song called FastLove I discovered that's the polar opposite this song. It was released in 1996 and probably describes a lot of people at this place in their life. They want something to last a night and when it's over get up and leave answer! Evidence: My friends have their ladies, they're all having babies and I just wanna have some fun


10 My Lovin' Never Gonna Get It






En Vogue has a stellar catalog of songs as well as every member that could sing. I loved that this song has that distinction and their harmonies were FIRE! All of the women could sing beautifully and even one of them did a whistle in Don't Go, a song I STILL stan today. That and Don't Let Go, Free Your Mind, goodness these women are incredible and I'm glad I came of age when these sistats were a group!

9 Kiss From A Rose



Batman Forever was a guilty pleasure for me. I liked Val Kilmer and I liked the cartoony zaniness of the movie. It definitely set it apart from the gritty tone of the first two, but it also made a great song that seemed to illuminate the movie.

Seal's voice draws you in from the start and keep you as it goes on, building you up to the chorus with bated breath. As it winds down back to the lyrics, you can breathe again and you wait again for the next set of lyrics. It's like a siren's call that draws you in, pulls you away but far enough to pull you in even further and by the end of the song you're glad you can't wear out the replay button on YouTube

8 Work It Missy Elliot




Youngungs are increasingly disconnected from the first line of the song "DJ Please pick up your phone I'm on the request line" especially when you can go to Youtube and play them, but at the time it was the way to get your favorite song on the line. The melodic beat is hypnotizing lulling you into Missy's lyrics and getting you singing and bopping before your body registers what you're doing. Missy Elliot videos are always dazzling with stunning visuals, sexual, straightforward lyrics and I love to see her dance. She reminds you that big girls can move too. Her videos are experiences I enjoy reliving, whether it's Da Rain, All in my Grill, Gossip Folks, or One Minute Man, you'll be learning the words sooner than later beacuse of how catchy her melodies are



7 Fantasy Mariah Carey




Her Fifth album and ninth number 1, first female artist to debut at #1, Based on a sample around Tom Tom's Genius of Love, she reminds me of what Whitney Houston did for Dolly Parton, increasing the royalties. Mariah fantasizes about her Love and the video takes at a carnival and the remix with ODB was controversial at the time. Mariah was a fan and even her label didn't want her to have a rapper on her remix because they thought it was suicide. But since he and Mariah went back like babies and pacifiers, something every kid at least HEARD if they listened casually to the song. Behind the scenes sory of recording with ODB

ODB's "Everybody in the House" portion of the song has new meaning amidst the COVID 19 pandemic and who can forget the little girl in both versions!


She was so cute! For me it's a nod back to happier times but it's also the one thing that my generation remembers fondly because Mariah was churning out bangers like it was government cheese. But for those who came of age in the 90s I have two words for you: Rush Hour









2001 Mary j Blige released her fifth album No More Drama, and this song is the uptempo anthem celebrating it. She wants everyone to have a good time on the dance floor, leave their troubles outside where they belong because the only thing you need is the body language of dance. Nothing but love, good vibes and positivity. Written by Mary J Blige and Dr Dre with 3 other writers, the effort poured into this song and the video paid off. It was a drama free, carefree, lovefest you didn't want to end...thankfully there's an option to loop the song on YouTube


5 Finally Cece Peniston




This gem from 1991 takes no prisoners, you are held captive from the first line to the end. CeCe Peniston's vocals go from tender to powerful and rocks the track with some Gospel hewn growls that usually don't make themselves known in dance pop songs, but it works in this song. While the beat and tempo isn't supposed to be remarkable, it's simple and repetitive to get in your ear and CeCe's chops carry this song as if it was written just for her. In fact, this is the song she is most known for and is one of my sister's favorite songs, we used to sing and dance to it when we heard it on the radio 





TLC, known for girl power and this song from their third studio album in 1999. This was the song that devastated men trying to holler at a woman that has her stuff together. Lead by Chili with her sisters Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes and T Boz, they are making it clear what kind of guy they want, spelling it out: if you have a car and you walking yes, she's talking to you. If you live at home with Mama, I wanna get with her with no money nope! Outta there! A male group replied with No Pidgins but it was whack...as a guy myself, I implore you to just take the L

3 More Than A Woman Aaliyah



Released posthumously her third and final album, this was a song that showed the beautiful woman Aaliyah grew up to be. The video featured Tyson Beckford and a white clad Aaliyah dancing in side what seemed to be the motorcycle itself. She later dances in black and finishes spectacularly. The lyrics show us a sultry seductress that wants more than to be some woman, or lover. She wants a man that will be her equal, a partner in crime. That's what anyone that desires a healthy relationship wants

2 Smooth By Santana



When I was in high school, we had cassette tapes and I listened to the radio ALL THE TIME, I would hit play + record to listen to this song. Whenever I go out to big gatherings, pre Rona, I would hear this song at least once in rotation from the live band. This Rob Thomas  penned tune along with his Supernatural album introduced Carlos Santana to a new generation and this song helped do that. He worked with Michelle Branch in The Game of Love,  The Product G&B in Maria Maria,  and Chad Kroeger from Nickelback and Alex Band in Why Don't You and I and again with Kroeger with Into The Night . I love all of those but this one song is the song that at least for me made me pay attention to the others. It's an assertive

A few Honorable Mentions

Marky Mark Good Vibrations




This is How We Do It  Montel Jordan



Madonna La Isla Bonita 




The Hustle Van McCoy 




1 Dancing Queen ABBA



I don't care where I am, if I hear this song at a dance party I will sing along and dance like I'm a blond girl in a 70's roller rink. I know all the words and I have to say, if you haven't heard this song you must be living under a rock somewhere. This song has it all, the energy the lyrics the tone, the everything! It is the perfect song for falling in love, or falling in like, whirling around the dance floor as if you have no care in the world, It's THAT song! Leave all your cares and woes behind, they have no power over the Dancing Queen! 

What do you think of my list? What are some other ones you think I listen to? What are some of your Top 15? 

Until next time! 
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parker v. Hurley Prental Rights Violation or Elaborate Setup? I'll Explain

Conservative Family Values: All Fantasy, No Facts A Few Reasons

The Comments NOM Blog Is Likely To Take Down--or Not Approve